Regional Haze Program
In 1977, Congress added § 169 to the Clean Air Act (CAA), which set forth the following goal for restoring pristine conditions in national parks and wilderness areas:
Congress hereby declares as a national goal the prevention of any future, and the remedying of any existing, impairment of visibility in mandatory Class I Federal areas which impairment results from man-made air pollution.
In 1999, EPA promulgated the “Regional Haze Regulations: Final Rule” (also referred to as the Regional Haze Rule) to address the combined visibility effects of various pollution sources over a wide geographic region with the goal of achieving natural visibility conditions at designated Class I areas by 2064. This program requires all states, including those that do not have Class I areas to participate in planning, analysis, and emission control programs to comply with the Regional Haze Rule. States with Class I areas are required to conduct certain analyses to establish goals for each Class I area in the state to 1) improve visibility on the haziest days and 2) ensure no degradation occurs on the clearest days. These goals and long-term strategies to achieve these goals are to be included in state implementation plans (SIPs) covering each ten-year period leading up to 2064. Amendments to the Regional Haze Rule were finalized in 2005 and 2017.
Planning Period 1
- Final Phase II Regional Haze Plan
- AECC Administrative Order
- SWEPCO Administrative Order
- Entergy Administrative Order
- Governor’s Letter
- Public Participation
- FLM and State Consultation
- EPA approval of Phase II SIP
- Final Phase III Regional Haze Plan.
- Domtar Ashdown Mill Emissions Comparison
- Phase III SIP Revision RPG Data Sheet
The modeling files for Domtar’s revised BART Alternative for Ashdown Mill are available upon request.
For questions or requesting copies of available modeling files for Domtar’s revised BART Alternative, contact David Clark or phone 501-682-0070.
Planning Period 2
- Accounting for Energy Efficiency in Regional Haze Planning
- Guidance on Regional Haze State Implementation Plans for the Second Implementation Period https://www.epa.gov/visibility/guidance-regional-haze-state-implementation-plans-second-implementation-period
- Technical Guidance on Tracking Visibility Progress for the Second Implementation Period of the Regional Haze Program https://www.epa.gov/visibility/technical-guidance-tracking-visibility-progress-second-implementation-period-regional
- Technical Support Document for EPA’s Updated 2028 Regional Haze Modeling
- Technical Support Documentation for EPA’s Preliminary 2028 Regional Haze
- Ramboll AOI Report for the CenSARA States