Notifying DEQ of Hazardous Waste Generation and Management

Arkansas Hazardous Waste generators subject to regulation under the federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and the Arkansas equivalent, Arkansas Pollution Control and Ecology Commission Regulation 23 (hereafter referred to as Regulation 23) are required to notify DEQ of their regulated waste activities and get a U.S. EPA Identification Number.

Select the plus symbol Select to receive the answer to the question. to view instructions relating to your selection.

  1. Any person, facility, or company which generates, stores, markets, burns, transports, treats, or disposes of hazardous waste; and/or
  2. Any facility, company, or location which acts as a hazardous waste transporter or transfer facility in Arkansas.

Unless specifically excluded in Regulation 23, Section 261.4, hazardous wastes are those discarded materials which are:

  • abandoned - Regulation 23, Section 261.2(b), or
  • recycled - Regulation 23, Section 261.2(c), or
  • considered inherently waste-like - Regulation 23, Section 261.2(d), and
  • are specifically listed as regulated hazardous wastes - Regulation 23, Sections 261.31-33, or
  • exhibit hazardous ignitable, corrosive, reactive, or toxic characteristics - Regulation 23, Section 261.20-24

Anyone who generates solid wastes is responsible for determining if their waste is a hazardous waste regulated under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA). You may refer to Arkansas Pollution Control and Ecology Commission Regulation 23, Section 260 to help you decide if the waste you handle is regulated under RCRA. Additionally, persons who recycle any materials listed under Regulation 23, Section 261.1 must also determine whether those materials are hazardous wastes under the provisions of RCRA. If you need help making this determination after reading these instructions, contact the Arkansas Division of Environmental Quality, Hazardous Waste at (501) 682-0833.

If your waste activity is regulated under RCRA, you must notify the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality of your activities and obtain a U.S. EPA Identification Number. You can satisfy both requirements by completing and signing EPA Form 8700-12 (the Arkansas Site Identification Form) and mailing it to the address listed on the form.

Updated notifications are used by facilities who have EPA numbers and wish to make changes to the original information (e.g., contact change, ownership change, waste code changes, etc.). On updated notifications, all areas, including the signature, must be completed.


A person who is subject to the hazardous waste regulations under RCRA should submit one (1) notification form per site location.

Notification of Hazardous Waste Activity is not considered confidential in the State of Arkansas and can be released to the public according to Arkansas Freedom of Information Act, A.C.A. §25-7-100 et seq. Any notification form submitted as confidential will be returned to the notifying company. No EPA number will be issued until the claim of confidentiality is resolved.

The completed form should be mailed to:

Division of Environmental Quality
Hazardous Waste
5301 Northshore Drive
North Little Rock, AR 72118-5317

Telephone number (501) 682-0833. Follow the directions carefully to avoid delay in the issuance of the U.S. EPA Identification Number.

After your completed Site Identification form is received by the Department, you will be sent a written acknowledgment that will include your U.S. EPA Identification Number. You must use this number on all communications with the U.S. EPA and this Department regarding your hazardous waste activities.