UST Licensing Program
The Underground Storage Tank (UST) Licensing Program licenses contractors/companies and individuals who install, repair, upgrade, close, or test underground storage tanks in order to assure that these tank systems are installed, repaired, upgraded, closed, and tested in a manner that will not encourage or facilitate leaking of regulated substances and that will protect the public health and the lands and waters of Arkansas.
A UST license is required for:
- Any person to install, repair, upgrade, close, or test a UST system. A person must be licensed by ADEQ in the category for which work is done.
- Any company that contracts with a third party to install, repair, upgrade, close, or test a UST system.
- Any contracting company or testing company that engages in the business of performing underground storage tank work and any individual who will supervise a job site or who performs tightness testing.
UST Licensing Fees
- A UST licensed contractor or testing company will pay a nonrefundable fee of $300 initially and every two years upon renewal.
- A contractor in a dual role as both the owner of the contracting company and the sole licensed individual in charge of on-site supervision will be required to pay only the contractor's fee of $300.
A UST licensed individual will pay a nonrefundable fee of $150 initially and every two years upon renewal.
A licensee who fails to renew a license prior to the expiration date will be required to pay a $25 late fee in addition to the renewal fees, provided the application for renewal occurs within two months of the expiration date.
UST Licensing Application Forms and Documents
Any contracting company or testing company that engages in the business of performing underground storage tank work, as well any individual who will supervise a job site or performs tightness testing, is required to secure a license for that work.
Select the appropriate subject below to find licensing application forms and documents.
Submit required forms along with nonrefundable fee.
- Individual License Application
- Proof of Work Experience
Proof of work experience is required at three completed UST sites that demonstrate a minimum of one year of field experience. All three must have occurred within the past three years.
References are required from three facility owners or two facility owners and one previous employer if you have had another employer within the past three years. These references are mailed directly to the RST Division by the person of reference.
UST Licensing Exam
The UST licensing examination is given on a regular basis at ADEQ Headquarters, 5301 Northshore Drive, North Little Rock. The exam is offered the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. Allow approximately three hours for the exam.
The exam consists of three parts:
- Part 1 - Regulations (APC&EC Regulation 12 and EPA Technical Standards)
- Part 2 - Technical (EPA Technical Standards and industry-recommended practice materials on UST installation, upgrade, and repair)
- Part 3 - Closure (EPA Technical Standards and industry-recommended practice materials on UST closure)
The exam is offered on the third (3rd) Thursday of each month at 9 a.m.
- January 17, 2019
- February 21, 2019
- March 21, 2019
- April 18, 2019
- May 16, 2019
- June 20, 2019
- July 18, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- September 19, 2019
- October 17, 2019
- November 21, 2019
- December 19, 2019
License Renewal Requirements
Approximately six weeks prior to the expiration date of the license, ADEQ will send a renewal form to the licensee, who should verify the information on the form and return it to ADEQ with the appropriate certificates of continuing education and/or re-certification of the chosen testing method(s), and the appropriate renewal fees.
Individuals must also complete the job experience sheet, which is provided. It is the duty and responsibility of the licensee to renew the license on a timely basis whether or not ADEQ has mailed an application form.
Any license that is not renewed within two months after its expiration date will be considered lapsed and invalid.